Friday, November 20, 2015

The beginning...

I started my pregnancy journey 22 months ago. I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since I found out I was pregnant with baby Rio. I will never forget the moment. My period was only a couple days late, but that was rare for me.  I woke up on the morning of January 5, 2014 and just decided at that moment to take a test. I was at our home in Del Mar. I think subconsciously I knew that I was pregnant and that's why I was prompted to take a test.  The act of taking the test wasn't at all what I had expected. I peed on the stick thinking the next couple minutes would be torture, like in the movies. Nope! That little blue line showed up immediately! I didn't even have any time to prepare myself. I just looked in the mirror and stared. I couldn't believe there was a baby inside me! I always hoped I would be a mom one day, but I was in disbelief. The next several minutes I stayed in the bathroom, thinking about how I should tell my husband. Run and jump on the bed? Be romantic? Just show him the test? It didn't matter, he would be so happy regardless.  When I walked into our bedroom Adam was on the phone and I could tell by his face something was wrong. He hung up and told me his Grandpa had just passed away. My heart sunk, my stomach a knot. He looked so sad, and I was heartbroken by the news as well. I just hugged him and tried to comfort him. He said he needed to go to the hospital to take care of things. This was not how I imagined this moment. So many emotions. I didn't know what to do, so I just waited. Kept it to myself for 4 whole days. Adam and I had a trip planned a few days later to our friends' wedding in Maui, so I would tell him when we got there. When we got to our hotel, I asked him to bring the the plastic baggie that was inside my purse. He didn't even notice what it was at first, but as he was handing it to me he asked, "Are you taking a pregnancy test?" I told him to look at it. He looked so confused and I told him the whole story. We knew with the timing of everything that we wanted to honor Adam's Grandpa Mario. My mom came up with the name Rio, from Mario.  When we found out we were having a boy, we knew his name would be Rio. We chose Jack as his middle name after my late Grandpa. Our 14 month old, Rio Jack Zuffinetti is bright, loud, funny, happy, curious, stubborn, and full of life. I know our Grandpas would be so proud. 
Shortly after I finally told Adam I was pregnant! 1/9/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment