We are still doing homeschool preschool together, but now he will 
be going to a nature-based preschool a couple days a week as well. 
So far he loves it! My only concern about starting school? Germs! 

Let’s face it, kids are going to get sick.  

But there are things we can do to try to prevent the sickies. 
One of my favorite supplements that I give my kids and take myself 
is Elderberry Syrup. 

Since starting school, I have been giving Rio his elderberry syrup
everyday to boost his immune system. 
My friend Krista taught me a while back that I could make my own 
elderberry syrup. 
It is such a better value than buying at the store, it tastes better, and 
my kids actually beg for it! 
Here is the recipe, as well as link to purchase my favorite organic
elderberries. 
Happy Back to School and Stay Healthy!!

Homemade Elderberry Syrup (adapted from Growing4HisGlory.com)

Ingredients: 
1 cup black elderberries (click here for the ones I love)
4 cups of purified water
3 T fresh (or dried) ginger root (I used fresh)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cloves or clove powder
1 cup raw honey

Directions:

1. In a medium sauce pan, add: water, elderberries, ginger root, 
 cinnamon and cloves together. (Honey is for later)

2. Bring to a boil. Turn down, cover and let simmer for about 45 mins.

3. Strain into a bowl.

4. Let cool to lukewarm. Add honey and stir well. 

5. Store elderberry syrup in the refrigerator in a small brown glass dropper bottle
 I use a 2 ounce bottle (1 teaspoon is about 4 drops).

 6. Store the rest in dark glass container and refill the smaller bottle, 
using a funnel, when needed. (an old wine bottle can work for this!)

*Elderberry Syrup can be taken daily as a preventative. 
Daily dose: kids-1 teaspoon, adults-1 Tbsp. 
If anyone in my family starts coming down with anything,
we take the recommended dose every 2-3 hours until we feel better.